August 16, 2016
Dear Memorial School Parents/Guardians,
It is hard to believe but summer is almost coming to an end and a new school is about to begin. Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! Hopefully, the summer has provided you with many fun filled and peaceful activities to spend time with family and friends. As I begin my fourth year at Memorial School it continues to be an honor and privilege to serve as the principal of such a family and student centered learning community. As we prepare to embark on another year, I am reminded that the beginning of school is truly a special time, and I am eagerly looking forward to partnering with you as we focus on all children reaching their academic and social/emotional potential. Fortunately, our school continues to be a team of exceptionally talented and committed staff. This summer, I have had the pleasure of hiring more highly skilled educators to support student learning.
- New Assistant Principal: Mr. David Rosenblatt
- New Librarian: Mrs. Catherine Myers
- New Kindergarten teacher: Ms. Mary Felton
- New Special Educator: Mrs. Teresa Shu Smith
- New Reading Teacher: Mrs. Nicole Mondello
- New RtI tutors: Ms. Jennifer Clifford and Ms. Caighla Healy
- New Kindergarten Instructional Assistant (KIA): Lisa Russell
In addition, we have made some room changes in order to best meet the needs of our students.
- The Special Education Team now has a larger space to support the learning needs across all grade levels.
- We have a new location for our conference room which is upstairs in room 217. I hope you find this new space to be more welcoming and accommodating for parents and teachers to meet and plan for student success.
- We have created a new "Learning Commons" in the library by combining Integrated Technology and Library Media Specialists spaces. Students will be able to explore create and work collaboratively on a variety of projects.
Memorial School will open its doors for students on Tuesday,September 6th which will be a full day beginning at 8:10AM and ending at 2:15 PM. Kindergarten students will begin on September 12th. Students arriving by car can only be dropped off while a teacher is on duty from 7:55-8:10am. If a teacher is not out front, you must park and bring your child into the front office and sign in. Bus transportation is provided to ALL students in Burlington and ensures your child will be on time each and every day. Please consider taking advantage of this free opportunity.
We will start our new school year with an all school assembly in the cafeteria on the first day. This assembly will launch our PBIS STARbuck program that focuses on the four values of Kindness, Respect, Responsibility and Safety.
Please mark your calendars for the following fall events:
Back to School Night - Wednesday, September 14th at 6:30 PM. Parent only event
Picture Day: Friday, September 30th
PTO Meeting - Thursday, October 6th at 7:00pm in the library
I truly value Burlington's commitment to education and look forward to seeing you at these and other events during the school year. Please enjoy the remaining days of the summer, as we eagerly anticipate another successful year guiding your child to their highest academic and social and emotional potential. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for sharing your children with us.