MEMORIAL SCHOOL NEWS
February 13th, 2015
Main Office 781-270-1721 Nurse 781-270-1724 Absentee Line 781-273-7649
Feb 16th - Feb 20th - No School, Winter Vacation
Feb 27th - Dr Seuss Read Aloud Day
Mar 8th - Daylight Savings
Mar 10th - 1st Grade Field trip to Chelmsford Theatre
Mar 23-27 PARCC testing grades 3-5
Mar 28th - Toast to Memorial
Apr 7th - Spring pictures
Main Entree Choices (See Lunch Menu for More Details) Feb 23rd - Feb 27th
French Toast Sticks
Dr Seuss Day
Green Eggs & Ham or
From the Office:
Two Hour Delay Clarification: As a result of the snowstorm, Burlington Public Schools started two hours later than usual on Tuesday. We received many calls that morning here in the school office regarding the start time for school that day, so for clarification purposes this is how it works: when there is a two-hour delay, Memorial School doors open at 9:55am, and students are marked tardy if they arrive past 10:10am. Dismissal time remains unchanged. Kindergarten dismissal is still at 12:45pm; and grades 1-5 are dismissed at 2:15pm. Additionally, there is no Before School Care on days with delayed openings as the purpose of the delay is to permit safe travel to school during or after inclement weather.
How Can Parents Help Nurture Proficiency in Reading and Love of It at the Same Time?:
1. Let your child “catch you reading” – whether it’s a newspaper, magazine, book, or online article. You truly are your child’s best teacher – and teaching occurs most powerfully through example.
2. Encourage your child to read every day – whether it is after school, at the dentist’s office, at a sibling’s athletic practice/event, at bedtime, in the morning – whatever suits him or her (and your schedule). Research shows that daily practice really DOES make a difference!
3. Reading to your child (regardless of grade) and helping them to build a library of their own at home (Discount Books readily available on Cambridge Street!) are surefire ways to
“grow a reader.”
4. If your child’s teacher requests that they keep a reading log or journal, take an interest in it and sign it with acknowledgment of their commitment to it.
(Note: A student who reads 20 minutes a night, 5 nights a week, gets 100 minutes of practice each week. Over the course of a school year, this is the equivalent of 66 hours, or TEN WHOLE SCHOOL DAYS a YEAR! All that practice will make your child a more competent confident reader, and a more curious committed learner too!)
5. If your child is a beginning reader, his or her teacher likely sends home books for sharing with you and practicing at home. Life is so busy these days, but taking the time to sit and allow him or her to read them to you matters more than you can imagine. Your child wants to please you and make you proud. This is the perfect context for doing both!
Thank you for helping to make reading a ‘family affair’ at Memorial School!
From the Nurse: All medications required during school hours is to be brought to the school by an adult parent/guardian. Children are not to bring their own medicine, prescriptions or over the counter to school. All mediation - both prescribed and over the counter -- needs to be in properly labeled packaging. A signed form from your healthcare provider is also required for each medication. Medication order forms can be obtained in the Nurse’s office. Please call the nurse’s office at 781-270-1724 if you have any questions.
Returning to school after an illness: Children who have been out ill need to be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school. Please adhere to this standard as cold and flu season has already begun at Memorial School. The best way to combat all communicable disease is to wash your hands frequently throughout the day.
Incoming Kindergarten Registration: You can still register your incoming Kindergartener at the Student Information Center at BHS on Monday, February 23rd thru Friday, February 27th between the hours of 8am to 12pm, and the evening of February 26th between the hours of 5pm and 7pm. For more information, please call 781-270-8179.
From the PTO: Save the Date: The Toast to Memorial will be on March 28th at the Crowne Plaza.